The CCSI was assessed at C$5.13 per gram this week, down 1.3% from last week’s C$5.20 per gram. This week’s price equates to US$1,833 per pound at the current exchange rate.
This week, Cannabis Benchmarks examines updated household expenditure data issued quarterly by Statistics Canada. As seen in the chart above, in Q4 2021 the estimated household expenditure for legal recreational cannabis continued to grow, while estimated expenditures in the illicit market continued to contract.
More Canadians are choosing to purchase cannabis through regulated legal channels, as awareness and accessibility continue to evolve. Also fueling that trend is the drop in prices, as new supplies from legal indoor and outdoor cultivation operations became available, making products from licensed businesses more price-competitive with those of illegal sellers.
In Q4 2021, recreational cannabis expenditures grew 33% to C$1,224M and illicit cannabis expenditures dropped by 13% to C$660M compared to the same time frame in 2020. Cannabis Benchmarks also note that expenditures for medical-use cannabis dropped 13% to C$108M. Medical cannabis now makes up only 5.4% of the total Canadian cannabis market. Total expenditures on cannabis were C$1.993B for the quarter, or C$21.7M per day.
See previous weekly updates from Cannabis Benchmarks:
- How to compare annual cumulative cannabis sales in Canada
- Canadian cannabis consumer and patient trends right now
- Daily cannabis spend per consumer in BC now
- Canadian retail store counts right now
- A look at average daily cannabis sales in Canada
- Future growth of cannabis retail in Alberta
- Retail store counts in Canada right now
- The mix of cannabis products in Ontario right now
- How to understand legal and illicit cannabis sales
- Comparing legal and illicit cannabis purchases right now
- A look at cannabis retail store counts in Canada
- A look at daily cannabis retail sales in Canada
- Legacy and legal cannabis sales three years after legalization?
- How to understand cannabis’ impact on alcohol sales in Canada
- Understanding cannabis retail store growth in Canada
- A look at average monthly spend per cannabis consumer
- A look at processing licenses issued by Health Canada
- A look at cultivation licenses issued by Health Canada
- Understanding medical versus recreational sales right now
- A look at daily cannabis sales by Province
- How to view dry cannabis sales across Canada
- A look at percentage of legal versus illicit cannabis sales
- A look at the pace of growth for cannabis retail
- A look at monthly cannabis sales in Ontario
- What is the optimal number of cannabis stores in Canada?
- How to compare daily cannabis retail sales by Province
- Understanding the impact of cannabis on alcohol sales in Canada
- A look at cannabis retail store count by Province
- A look at cannabis user statistics in Canada