The CCSI was assessed at C$5.20 per gram this week, up 0.6% from last week’s C$5.17 per gram. This week’s price equates to US$1,848 per pound at the current exchange rate.
Statistics Canada recently released retail sales data for December 2021, showing nationwide legal cannabis sales once again grew during the holiday month. Sales in December grew to C$382.4M. The month-on-month increase of C$31M or 8.5% led to the highest monthly sales since legalization.
This latest report also gives us a complete view of 2021 sales, which totaled C$3.92B. This was a C$1.3B or 50% increase year-on-year.
Cannabis Benchmarks expects 2022 will exceed last year’s sales as more stores are rolled out across key provinces, and lower price points and product variety continue to attract illicit market consumers to the legal markets. Based on the latest report, the annual sales run rate for 2022 is expected to hit at least C$4.5B.
See previous weekly updates from Cannabis Benchmarks:
- Canadian cannabis consumer and patient trends right now
- Daily cannabis spend per consumer in BC now
- Canadian retail store counts right now
- A look at average daily cannabis sales in Canada
- Future growth of cannabis retail in Alberta
- Retail store counts in Canada right now
- The mix of cannabis products in Ontario right now
- How to understand legal and illicit cannabis sales
- Comparing legal and illicit cannabis purchases right now
- A look at cannabis retail store counts in Canada
- A look at daily cannabis retail sales in Canada
- Legacy and legal cannabis sales three years after legalization?
- How to understand cannabis’ impact on alcohol sales in Canada
- Understanding cannabis retail store growth in Canada
- A look at average monthly spend per cannabis consumer
- A look at processing licenses issued by Health Canada
- A look at cultivation licenses issued by Health Canada
- Understanding medical versus recreational sales right now
- A look at daily cannabis sales by Province
- How to view dry cannabis sales across Canada
- A look at percentage of legal versus illicit cannabis sales
- A look at the pace of growth for cannabis retail
- A look at monthly cannabis sales in Ontario
- What is the optimal number of cannabis stores in Canada?
- How to compare daily cannabis retail sales by Province
- Understanding the impact of cannabis on alcohol sales in Canada
- A look at cannabis retail store count by Province
- A look at cannabis user statistics in Canada