JOBS, JOBS, JOBS
US cannabis supports 428,059 jobs: Leafly
The 2022 Leafly Jobs Report is out, and as of January 2022, it says the US cannabis industry supports 428,059 “full-time equivalent” jobs, or an average of 280 new jobs per day last year.
Created in partnership with Whitney Economics, it also found:
- Job numbers grew by 33%, and it’s the fifth year annual job growth exceeded 27%
- Jobs include plant-touching roles in cultivation and sales, to ancillary roles like accounting and countless other services
- There are three times as many cannabis workers as dentists in America (thank goodness!)
- The top states for cannabis jobs are California and Colorado
Can the growth continue?
Yes, according to the report, which estimates that the total employment potential to be between 1.5 to 1.75 million workers: “The economic and employment potential for legal cannabis remains quite bright for many years to come.”
Enjoy Cannabis Daily each morning at 7 a.m.
A LITTLE BITE
Indiva launches new microdosing edible
On the heels of its licensed release of new Wana gummies for “night-time” use, Indiva just launched its own newest product, Jewels Cannabis Tarts, a package of 10 x 1 mg THC candies for microdosing, according to a press release.
- Jewels launched in Ontario on Jan. 25, and will be in B.C. in March and Alberta in April
- They’re available in two flavors: Raspberry 1:1 CBD/THC, and Strawberry THC
- They’re made with real fruit flavor
“The discreet consumption, simple ingredients, and convenient format will resonate with cannabis consumers who are looking for a non-oil microdosing product that is easy to consume and doesn’t require additional accessories,” said Indiva’s VP of marketing Leah Thiel in a statement.
Thiel joined BofC Live last year. Rewatch: Building successful edibles brands in the Canadian landscape
ALL THE NUMBERS
Canadian cannabis data dump
On onslaught of new cannabis-related data came in this week on non-compliant cannabis, the GDP and edibles:
- Health Canada seized 35 million grams of cannabis and 7800 plants after inspecting licensed facilities, including some of which were personal grows for medical purposes (MJBizDaily)
- Legal cannabis has contributed $43.5 billion to Canada’s national GDP (Forbes)
Pediatric visits to the ER related to cannabis increased five-fold in Ontario between 2003 and 2017, according to a study by the CHEO Research Institute (Ottawa Citizen)
EBAY OK IN UK
Yooma, Love Hemp launch on eBay UK
Love Hemp Group is the first CBD brand to list its products on eBay UK as part of its new cannabidiol pilot program, reports BusinessCann. Yooma Wellness Inc. also announced that three of the CBD brands under its portfolio have also been added.
Love Hemp will list sprays, drops and edibles, and 60 products by Vitality CBD, Blossom Skincare and MYO Plant Nutrition will be listed.
“This is a significant development for the company,” said Tony Calamita, CEO of Love Hemp Group. “eBay has 1.7 billion monthly visits and its Health and Beauty segment caters to an extremely wide-ranging market, providing Love Hemp with the opportunity to reach a new audience with its high-quality health and wellness products.”