The Canada Cannabis Spot Index (CCSI) was assessed at C$5.15 per gram this week, up 1.0% from last week’s C$5.10 per gram. This week’s price equates to US$1,890 per pound at the current exchange rate.
This week, Cannabis Benchmarks examine the number of cannabis processing licenses issued in Canada. This data comes from the same data set we looked at last week, which showed the number of cultivation licenses that have been issued. As with the cultivation licenses, we see a steady growth trend for both standard and micro-processing licenses.
As a reminder, a standard processor has no production limits, while a micro-processor can process up to 600 kilograms of dried cannabis in a calendar year. If a micro-processing licence holder also holds a micro-cultivation licence for the same site, the processing limitation does not apply since the license holder will be processing cannabis plant material from its own integrated grow operation.
Health Canada shows there are currently 448 active processing licenses split amongst standard and micro operations. A little under one-fifth of the licenses are micro-processing licenses. As with the cultivation licenses, we do not believe most of the licensees are operational. As illustrated in the chart above, the micro-processing license is a relatively new phenomenon that really kicked off last year.
See previous weekly updates from Cannabis Benchmarks:
- A look at cultivation licenses issued by Health Canada
- Understanding medical versus recreational sales right now
- A look at daily cannabis sales by Province
- How to view dry cannabis sales across Canada
- A look at percentage of legal versus illicit cannabis sales
- A look at the pace of growth for cannabis retail
- A look at monthly cannabis sales in Ontario
- What is the optimal number of cannabis stores in Canada?
- How to compare daily cannabis retail sales by Province
- Understanding the impact of cannabis on alcohol sales in Canada
- A look at cannabis retail store count by Province
- A look at cannabis user statistics in Canada