Another seven unlicensed cannabis dispensaries were shut down in New York yesterday as state officials continue their crackdown.
Last week Business of Cannabis reported that one of New York’s largest unlicenced cannabis stores, Empire Cannabis Club, was fighting back against Gov. Kathy Hochul’s ongoing campaign to clamp down on the state’s estimated 3500 unlicensed shops.
Yesterday, officials announced that a further seven unlicensed stores in the western part of the state had been targeted after reportedly ignoring numerous notices to cease operating without approval.
According to the Associated Press, owner of the I’m Stuck cannabis stores in Cayuga, Oswego and Wayne counties David Tulley, has also been accused of selling cannabis to underage customers.
He told the publication that he adamantly denied the allegations, and as his stores only offer consultation and education services, he did not require a licence.
“We’re ready to go to war with New York state and we get our day in court on Wednesday … so we’ll be happy to talk to them,” Tulley said.
Mr Tulley is due in court on Wednesday as the state seeks to permanently close his stores and prevent him from being able to dispense cannabis products.
The state is also hoping to force Mr Tulley to pay a number of fines, which could be considerable due to laws enabling the state to impose penalties of $10,000 for each day a business sells cannabis without a licence, as well as a $20,000 penalty for each day cannabis is sold after the business receives an order to stop by the state.
“It’s critical to crack down on illegal operators who are breaking the law and undermining the success of entrepreneurs and consumers who follow the rules,” Ms Hochul said in a statement.